This class has greatly helped me in being able to understand
the process of second language acquisition. I was able to clearly see the
different areas where students may struggle at times, and where it can help to
take an extra minute to aide your students in the process of language
acquisition. Not all students learn the same way, and this class has helped me
to see that that also applies to language acquisition capabilities. If you are
not able to cater to individual student needs, it is more likely that they will
struggle. You have to be able to understand that all students learn in
different ways and that is a huge part of the process.
This class currently has and will in the future impact my
professional practices because I am much more aware of the different components
of what comes into play in what it takes to learn a second language. The motivation
of a student is something that stood out to me greatly in this course. If you
are not able to see language from the learner’s perspective, then it will be
harder for them to be able to learn the language. Motivation plays a huge role
in how the learner perceives the language acquisition, and how much they want to
learn that language. It is important for the student to want to learn the
language, as opposed to feeling forced to learn the language or question the
purpose of why they are learning it. This
means that the student’s effort, enjoyment, and investment are relatively high
(Ortega, 2013, p.169). Another thing that I noticed that was touched on in the
book and that I found super informative was the approach of learning in the
classroom (Ortega, 2014, p.6). It is important to not only take the role of the
educator, but also the role of the facilitator. It is important to have a naturalistic
and instructed approach in the classroom. for students to be able to learn, they
have to be able to take control and decide on the approaches they take in the classroom.
The content in this course was thoroughly investigated and
allowed me to see all of the different aspects of being able to teach an
English language learner. Allowing the students to work and grow on their own
is important, and you have to be able to allow them to take on that role. That
way, the students will be able to take control of their own learning and have a
sense of control in the classroom.
The role of the VBlog in this course was helpful most of the
time. You were able to see other students’ perspectives and thoughts throughout
the course, and it helped to break down specific ideas for us to learn. Not too
much information was reflected on during each VBlog, which made it easier to
understand each subject. We were also able to reflect on what they said, so it
made it more interesting to formulate an opinion on what we thought because we
have everyone else in the classes opinions to reflect on.
Hi Noor! I can really appreciate that you touched on how motivation plays a large role in a student’s ability to acquire a second language. According to Ortega, “being motivated nurtures more successful L2 learning, but, conversely, experiencing L2 learning success also boosts motivation to even higher levels, in a reinforcing cycle” (2013, p. 189). In light of this we can see how truly important it is to have motivated students, and keep them motivated. I find that hands on activities and group assignments really seem to boost the motivation levels of the ELL students in my placement. I am interested in hearing what you have found that seems to motivate your ELL students.
ReplyDeleteHi Kallie! I love that you noted that hands on activities and group assignments seem to boost motivation levels of the ELL students at your placement because I agree, I also think that those two things come into play when it comes to a student’s motivation. I also find that you have to find activities that bring in fun aspects for the students so they do not feel like they are just being talked at all the time. I try to incorporate fun Fridays and self-taught assignments in the classroom so my students can have control of their own learning.
DeleteHi Noor, I also think that it is very important to cater to each student’s needs because each student learns in different ways. Motivation is crucial for students to learn because they will not become invested in their learning if they are not enjoying the learning process (Ortega, 2013, p. 176). I also thought it was interesting how you mentioned that teachers must not only take the role of the educator, but also the role of the facilitator. I never thought about it from that aspect. When students can have more control over what they learn in the classroom, the students are more motivated to learn.
ReplyDeleteHi Angela, I could not agree more! It is critical that we as teachers take into account the individual needs of each of our students, this includes what motivates them. Another category that I think falls under the umbrella of motivation is orientation. Ortega states that orientations are the “reasons for learning the L2, [as] they contribute to the setting of goals that will propel and sustain motivation of varying intensities and qualities” (2013, p. 173). In other words, we not only do we need to understand our students motivation but we must also understand the intensity of that motivation.
DeleteHi Angela and Karen! I love the insights that you guys were able to provide on the subject of motivation. I also like that you were able to touch on the fact that teachers need to also take on the role of the facilitator in the classroom, because it is important for students to have control over their education. The more in control that students feel, the more motivated they are more likely to be throughout their education.
DeleteHola Noor, I agree with you when it comes to motivating our students and helping them individually in the classroom. Motivation is a great tool for our students to continue furthering their own education. Motivation is crucial for students to learn because they will not become invested in their learning if they are not enjoying the learning process (Ortega, 2013, p. 176) As a student teacher, I have been able to see how you build relationships with your students which allows you to motivate them personally and as someone who cares in relation to their education
ReplyDeleteHi Bianca! I appreciate what you noticed about the role that motivation plays in the classroom. I agree that it is important for students to want to take charge of their own learning, and motivation has a lot to do with that. I also agree that personal relationships can play a great deal in student’s motivation, because if you are able to encourage your students then they will more likely want to learn and in order to effectively encourage them, you have to be able to have a relationship with them so that they will want to listen to you.
Delete