I had a similar experience to what you mentioned in your video. When I was younger, my family and I would visit Mexico every year and I could tell my Spanish was broken just by the way people would really try to pay attention to mouth and what I was trying to say. Ortega mentions that to see how well someone knows the second language learned is to check their oral and written records (2013). It wasn’t until middle school when I became an instructed learner so my oral and writing skills improved over the years of the courses. I am also excited with what we’re going to learn in this course that will help in our own classroom.
Hey Anicia! I love that this is the kind of experience that others can relate to. It helps those that are learning a second language feel as though they aren’t alone and they are on the right track, even if it does take them some time. I also think that it’s good that you did not let the “sink or swim” mindset (Ortega, 2013, p. 28) reduce your ability to speak either language, and are able to learn and improve on both languages.
In my 5th grade classroom, we have two boys who just moved here from Mexico. I want to know what do you think is going to be beneficial, me translating everything that is going on in the class or them socializing with other Spanish speaking students? At first, I was trying to translate everything but then I realized many students were willing to help these ELL students and if it means getting the ELLs to socialize then I should sometimes take a step back from being the translator. What is your honest opinion? I hope this course could give me some research-based insight on these type of situations!
Hey Noor! Our story is very similar to one another! As you may have heard, my first language is Spanish now it's "broken Spanish." I also understand Spanish and know how to pronounce words but I have to say them out loud to my self first before I carry on my conversation. I love how you are motivated to learn another language to better help your community because it would make us go a long way in our quest for understanding the human language faculty as a whole (Ortega, 2013 p.28.) The two languages I would like to learn would be American Sign Language and Arabic to help my community out!
Hi Damaris! I love that you share that same situation as me. I definitely have to pronounce words to myself before I say them out loud in conversation. I think this has to do with the fact that these languages for us were mainly learned at an older age, and there is clear evidence that accents are likely to develop when a second language is learned later in life (Ortega, 2013, p.23). I also think that it’s amazing that you want to learn American Sign Language and Arabic, I think that living in Houston, such a diverse city, it would be so helpful to you to be able to speak so many different languages and be able to communicate with such a large group of students.
Hey Noor!
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience to what you mentioned in your video. When I was younger, my family and I would visit Mexico every year and I could tell my Spanish was broken just by the way people would really try to pay attention to mouth and what I was trying to say. Ortega mentions that to see how well someone knows the second language learned is to check their oral and written records (2013). It wasn’t until middle school when I became an instructed learner so my oral and writing skills improved over the years of the courses. I am also excited with what we’re going to learn in this course that will help in our own classroom.
Hey Anicia! I love that this is the kind of experience that others can relate to. It helps those that are learning a second language feel as though they aren’t alone and they are on the right track, even if it does take them some time. I also think that it’s good that you did not let the “sink or swim” mindset (Ortega, 2013, p. 28) reduce your ability to speak either language, and are able to learn and improve on both languages.
DeleteIn my 5th grade classroom, we have two boys who just moved here from Mexico. I want to know what do you think is going to be beneficial, me translating everything that is going on in the class or them socializing with other Spanish speaking students? At first, I was trying to translate everything but then I realized many students were willing to help these ELL students and if it means getting the ELLs to socialize then I should sometimes take a step back from being the translator. What is your honest opinion? I hope this course could give me some research-based insight on these type of situations!
DeleteHey Noor!
ReplyDeleteOur story is very similar to one another! As you may have heard, my first language is Spanish now it's "broken Spanish." I also understand Spanish and know how to pronounce words but I have to say them out loud to my self first before I carry on my conversation. I love how you are motivated to learn another language to better help your community because it would make us go a long way in our quest for understanding the human language faculty as a whole (Ortega, 2013 p.28.) The two languages I would like to learn would be American Sign Language and Arabic to help my community out!
Hi Damaris! I love that you share that same situation as me. I definitely have to pronounce words to myself before I say them out loud in conversation. I think this has to do with the fact that these languages for us were mainly learned at an older age, and there is clear evidence that accents are likely to develop when a second language is learned later in life (Ortega, 2013, p.23). I also think that it’s amazing that you want to learn American Sign Language and Arabic, I think that living in Houston, such a diverse city, it would be so helpful to you to be able to speak so many different languages and be able to communicate with such a large group of students.
Delete